Frequently Asked Questions
Why should I buy a DwellTech Q-Kit arched roof home package?
DwellTech’s arched roof homes are unique, affordable, very low-maintenance, highly spacious and energy efficient, functionally designed, and extremely long-lasting. We have partnered with leading architectural and engineering firms including Morrison Hershfield and Mara + Natha Architecture to ensure that our models are BC Code compliant and engineered to the highest standards. We offer exceptional value by including extensive structural pre-engineering, full scale physical testing and architecturally designed layouts for optimal functionality. We also pass along significant cost and material resource savings through our combination of factory prefab and on-site component manufacturing process.
What are the benefits associated with a curved metal roof?
The continuous full span Arched roof is made of TruZinc® (55% Aluminum-Zinc Alloy), which offers superior long term life expectancy. In fact, extensive engineering research is available which shows a minimum projected service life of 60 years in the harshest of environments. When factoring in our west coast climate, the study found that the projected service life exceeds 300 years.
Furthermore, unlike a typical roof which collects falling branches and leaves, our curved roof design helps to keep it debris-free. A curved roof also works well in heavy snow load enviroments.
Do you offer a Turn-Key package for your Arched Roof Homes?
No, DwellTech works with builder partners to build your home. In fact, in order to help reduce costs and increase efficiencies DwellTech offers Q-kit build training on-site or at its distribution center in Maple Ridge.
A typical Q-Kit Home Build Packages includes:
- Raised Floor - includes BlueLine™ Metal 6”x14GA floor joists, tracks, all metal fasteners, and foundation brackets - Floor designed to 76psf to allow for cement floor option if chosen
- DwellTech full span structural arch roof/wall panels in 20GA TruZinc®. DwellTech staff to manufacture and install these on your job site soon after your completion of floor and center shear wall
- Exterior 26GA snap lock metal roof cladding coated in your colour choice of Spectrascape® SMP - 40 Year Limited Warranty
- Full build plans and instructions - AutoCAD® architectural drawings available for your architect
- Interior center shear wall framing components - 3-5/8” x 14GA metal studs and track
- Interior walls and ceiling framing components & fasteners - 3-5/8“ x 20GA metal studs & track
- Front and back exterior end wall components & fasteners - 3-5/8” x 14GA metal studs & track
- Roof purlins in 3-5/8” 18GA metal which allow for R-value of R35.5 using Roxul bat insulation and up to R56.5 with closed cell spray foam.
- Full materials list and specifications for items not included in build kit but required for build and budgeting to lock-up
What are the additional costs that are required to calculate a finished home cost estimate?
Additional costs that are not part of the standard DwellTech Q-Kit build package that should be budgeted for to complete this kit to a finished home:
- Freight – Cost to ship the Q-Kit package to the build location will be quoted based on build site destination.
- Transportation cost to get Arches manufacturing equipment and DwellTech crew to the build site. Also lodging cost if not available from band housing – this will also be quoted based on location and availability.
- Windows and doors – full specs will be provided for suggested materials
- Exterior roof and wall materials, wall cladding, 3/8” roofing plywood and synthetic underlayment
- Insulation – foam board, bat or spray-foam
- Electrical – Temporary power hook-up for site during building phase, Interior wiring, fixtures and labour, electrical inspections and permits, and final building hookup to public power grid.
- Plumbing – connection to city sewer system and water supply, or septic field if used. Internal plumbing and fixtures.
- Heating and ventilation materials and labour.
- Flooring – subfloor and finished flooring material and labour
- Kitchen and bathroom cabinets, closet shelving and doors.
- Interior trims, drywall and interior wall painting
- Interior appliances, bath fan, range hood
- Design, construction, and permits for a septic field, or well if required.
- External decks and or stairs
- Site landscaping, retaining walls, driveway, sidewalks, plants
- Formal architectural and engineering drawings associated surveys and inspections required for the building permits by Authorities Having Jurisdiction.
Do you include a warranty?
Yes, all DwellTech components come with a full year warranty against manufacturing defaults. The external roof wall structure comes with the additional warranty:
- 40 Year Limited Conditional Warranty on both the TruZinc structural panels and the snap lock metal roofing coated with Spectrascape® SMP
- 2-5-10 New Home Warranty – available through your registered BC builder
For details CLICK HERE
Do you build prefab or modular homes?
No, DwellTech homes are neither modular or prefab… DwellTech's Arches Building System combines positive aspects of prefab building with the benefits of on-site construction. We prefab some non-structural components of your home in our factory, to avoid weather issues, reduce waste, minimize onsite labour, and ensure highly standardized production. However, the exterior structural components are fabricated on-site and machine seamed using our Arches Mobile Building equipment. This helps reduce material waste and provides the highest quality structure. On site fabrication also reduces the costly transport charges associated with shipping prefabricated full span Arched panels. Full span machine seamed panels is the key to achieving the ultimate in structural integrity.
How do you make the curved roof?
DwellTech uses its unique Arches Mobile Building System to fabricate your curved roof home right on your building site. TruZinc® 20GA steel is roll-formed at our factory into 1 foot wide full span panels to the length required for your model. This straight panel is then curved on your build site with a mobile bending machine to a set radius based on your model design. Each panel is then machine seamed together to ensure your roof will remain leakproof and to provide the ultimate in structural integrity. In contrast to the many low-cost Quonset style out-building on the market DwellTech construction is not a bolt together system made with small Arched panels. All our Arches are continuous full-span and machine seamed. DwellTech is a state of the art residential quality system designed to be insulated with bat or spray foam up to R80.
Are DwellTech homes built to code?
Yes. All DwellTech models are designed and constructed to meet or exceed the BC Building Code. DwellTech has partnered with leading engineers and architects to ensure your home has been designed and engineered to the highest quality standards.
Does the curved roof/wall design create a low ceiling?
No, in fact you will have up to 11′ of clearance. Proper positioning of counter tops and furniture allows very efficient use of space. Less than 15% of the interior space has clearance under 6ft, and that is right next to the wall where there would typically be no walking or congregating in a traditional dwelling anyway. The remaining 86% of space is over 6ft, with more than 56% of that being over 10ft in clearance. The curved roof/walls actually help reduce the amount of costly building materials required, and reduce energy costs for heating. Why pay for extra building materials just to provide a high corner for cobwebs to collect?
See for yourself… Contact us to schedule a viewing.
Will the metal roof be noisy in the rain?
No, metal roofs are commonly used today in many residential and commercial applications. The use of spray foam insulation also helps to provide great sound barrier.
What materials do you use to finish the exterior?
The exterior curved wall/roof is made of 26GA Galvanized steel coated with Spectrascape® SMP for superior corrosion resistance.
Where can you build a DwellTech home?
Essentially anywhere, although zoning requirements do vary between municipalities. However, the Arches Mobile Building System is completely portable but does require some space to operate. Therefore, some densely populated urban areas are not ideal.
Contact us today to schedule a meeting or an appointment to view our show home located in Maple Ridge, BC.